Sweet and Sour Eggplant Condiment
- 8 c Eggplant, peeled and medium dice about 2 medium eggplants
- 1 c Canola or other vegetable oil
- 2 c Onion, small dice about 1 medium onion
- 2 c Celery, small dice about 4-5 stalks
- 1 ea Garlic clove, minced or paste
- 1/4 c Tomato Paste
- 1 1/2 c White Wine
- 1/4 c White or Golden Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 c Golden Raisins
- 1 t Fresh Thyme, Finely Chopped
- 2 t Kosher Salt
- Preheat oven to 350F Convection or 375F Conventional.
- Toss the eggplant and 3/4 cup of oil and place on a baking sheet (using foil or parchment paper will make clean up a little easier).
- Roast eggplant for 25-30 minutes or until well caramelized. Stir frequently.
- Heat a shallow saucepot or rondeau on medium and add the remaining 1/4 cup of oil, onions and celery then sauté for 15 minutes or until soft. Stir frequently
- Once the celery and onion are soft add the garlic and sauté for 2 minutes, then add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute, then add the wine and cook for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low, add vinegar, salt and raisins and saute for 15 minutes.
- Finish the dish with fresh thyme.